The Snowballs Festivals are radical re-designs in the festival format. Now in our 6th year, Snowballs has partnered up with Planet Connections to host our 2014 Film Festival. Info at the bottom. Check back here for more info on the next theatre festival in 2014.
The Snowballs Theatre Festival is a radical take on the festival format. Hosted over 2 nights in a downtown “art townhouse”, Snowballs brings together a diverse and exciting group of 60 presenting companies and playwrights for a chaotic showcase of theatre, dance, music, and debauchery. Past presenters include: PigPen Theatre Co. Ugly Rhino, Theatre Reconstruction Ensemble, Less Than Rent, Joshua Elias Harmon, Diana Stahl, Tenement Street, Carter Hudson, Carl Holder & Daphne Gardner, Aggrocrag, Tugboat Collective, Chris Tyler and so many more!
There is no fee for applying. There is no fee for participating. As a presenter you will get a free festival pass and drink tickets if we can swing that. There is also a profit-sharing program for larger companies and paid positions for SB facilitators. Details provided upon acceptance to the festival.
Open Application Are Closed
- - We accept all kinds of material for Snowballs and have no real preference as to genre, style, or content. However, we do gravitate towards proposals with strong cohesive narratives. Give us a story, not a thesis.
- - Your proposal can be just that, a proposal. Works-in-progress, ideas yet to be fleshed out, and vague assertions are all accepted.
- - Proposals longer than 25 minutes will not be curated. It’s a long festival and we want people to see as much as possible. We accept excerpts, workshops, etc… Snowballs is particularly effective for our presenters who have shows running during and after the festival.
- - Tech is limited. You must be able to load in / load out within 10 minutes. (No cheese puffs, blood or glitter*).
- - We don’t care about your resume, even though we ask you for one.
- - If your performance doesn’t fit into a theatre space and is perhaps better suited to a hallway or lobby, let us know! We love curating content on staircases, bathrooms, in secret passages, and in the middle of a crowded lobby.
*exceptions apply to glitter
Each year we curate up to 15 new works for the short film / webisode festival. Your submission does not need to be “exclusive” to this festival. There is no fee for applying. There is no fee for participating. We work in conjunction with the Planet Connections Theatre Festivity, a massive theatre festival. All accepted entries will be eligible for a PC Award for ‘Best Film’.
- In the past we’ve gravitated towards strong narrative content as opposed to experimental.
- Films/episodes longer than 25 minutes will probably not be curated due to time restraints but exceptions may apply.
- We do not accept mailed-in submissions. Your project must be available via download from your preferred method (Dropbox, Vimeo, yousendit, Drive etc…)
Thank you for your time and submission, we look forward to reviewing your material.